Website Optimization is the best way to generate more quality traffic to your website.
There are many ways to generate traffic to your website or blog from PPC (Pay Per Click) advertising, article marketing, blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin to print advertising which a lot of people have forgotten about.
However, to increase traffic and page rank you need to optimize your website, optimization is still the #1 way to insure you are receiving quality targeted traffic to your site.
What is Website Optimization or SEO?:
Website optimization is how you achieve page rank in the search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc..).
In order to optimize a site you first need to know the basics of how the search engines and the internet works. One of the most important things to remember is you need good, original content on your website that is relevant to your website topic and or business. To many people worry about putting pictures on there site, and they forget about the content.
Part of optimizing your website is having the proper layout, and ease of navigation on your site. A standard website has 5 main sections on the front-end or what you visually see.
- Container: This is the width and height of your pages.
- Header: The area at the top, usually used for the main title and logo of the website.
- Navigation: This is the area with either buttons or text linking to the different pages on the website.
- Content: The area with text, pictures and the website content.
- Footer: Used for Copyright placement, Links, contact information.
In the back-end of the site, This is where the Website Optimization happens. Here
you or your Webmaster have several opportunities to improve your sites page rank and increase your traffic to your site.
Here are 5 Tips that you can use now:
- Head Section: This is where your Meta Tags, or Meta Data Information are. This is what tells the spider-bots (search engine robots) what your site is about. This includes Website Title, Description of Website, Keywords, How often you want the bots to collect the information on your site.
Important: This cannot be seen by visitors or on the Front-end!
- Headline Tags: For search engine optimization these are important as they inform the bots what is important on your site. Headline tags are described as h1, h2, h3, h4, h5. The h1 tag is meant for your title of your site, usually located in the header area of your website. This is not the same as your Meta Title above. Important! “There should only be one h1 used on each page!!!!”
- Optimizing Navigation Links:When creating your pages that you are going to link to within your website, you should name your pages relevant to the Website Title, subject title and the content located on that page. Notice my site title is My T-Shirts, and my tagline or catch phrase is Custom Designed T-Shirts. Then my buttons are Home, Men, Woman, Kids, Infant, Spring, Summer, Fall. Now notice how the page names are structured.
- Optimizing Your Content: It is important when writing your content to include your keywords, description and relevant content for website optimization. Keep in mind, a websit is treated like a newspaper your most important material should be at the top or (before the fold)and have an h2 tag for the paragraph title. This will let the bots know that this is important to your site. The higher the heading tag the less important it is to your site. (You can have more than one h2 tag on one page. Notice the h2 tags, keywords and the extra linking within the first paragraph.
- Alt Tags: Many people and designers either forget or just do not want to take the time to use the “alt” tag on an image. This not only tells the bots what the image is of, but it allows you to enter more keyword and descriptions on your website. As far as website optimization this step is a must, and should not be skipped. See Example Below.